Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Diarios De Motocicleta [Motorcycle Diaries]


Photo © Copyright Focus Features & Yahoo Movies

Today, I got a chance to watch this brilliant Spanish movie called Diarios De Motocicleta. And only one line can do justice to this movie.."OH MY GOD!"
The movie is based on a motorcycle road trip Che Guevera went on, in his youth. This trip changed the way he saw the world. The movie immerses us in the adventures of Ernesto Che Guevara and his friend Alberto Granado. The cinematographer has done such an awesome job that I didn't even realise that I was watching a movie entirely in Spanish with only subtitles to guide me. The music composition throughout the movie is enticing.
This is the first time I have watched a movie which gave me an insight into South America and its people, land and social struggles. I am inspired to know more about the Incan and Mayan civilizations. Some of the portions of the movie shot at the Andes were breathtaking. I have added "Visiting the Incan settlements/ruins" to my TBD list. Lets see when I get around to doing that.

Trivia on Che Guevera : Che Guevara was a Marxist Revolutionary who played a major part in the Cuban Revolution. He was Fidel Castro's second in command. Che was finally murdered by the Bolivian Government with the support of the CIA. The famous photograph of Che in black beret taken by Korda is an icon all over the world. His image is used by everyone from politically subversive rock bands to advertisers seeking credibility. In Cuba and many parts of Latin America, he is spoken of in an almost Christ-like reverence.

8 Comments:

Blogger divya chandramouli said...

south americans always seem to be bursting forth with energy. would love to go there sometime... so much colour. so much life. :)

9:06 AM  
Blogger Metlin said...

Well, some of them do - in my opinion, he's nothing more than a glorified terrorist.

Btw, you should see this movie, Y Tu Mama Tambien (means, And Your Mother Too) - yet another really funny but awesome Spanish South-American movie set in Mexico. You'll love it, trust me!

9:40 AM  
Blogger Rhapsoder said...

Thanks for the suggestion MNK.. Will try and get my hands on a copy of that movie.

Well, I don't know too much about Che Guevera other than a few lines here and there I've read about him, so I've got no strong opinions. But, well, how many people fight for countries other than their own?

7:37 AM  
Blogger Sidharth said...

More than being about South America or Che Guevera,the movie taught me one important lesson.

Change is very important for every human being and we need to open our eyes to the world and continuosly change to become a better human being!I guess thats what life is about...

1:14 AM  
Blogger Rhapsoder said...

Ah.. Sid, I can see you're regularly high on grass.. Such profound wisdom doesn't come from you on a normal day.

Yes, travel DOES broaden one's mind. More importantly it opens you to yourself.. makes you open enough to introspect.. examine some of your own thinking.

1:47 AM  
Blogger Sidharth said...

Manu,

It does :) lol

Remmember its been almost 4 yrs since we left college and took our own separate paths to Michigan and NC? ;)

4:35 AM  
Blogger Rhapsoder said...

Ofcourse.. hehe, how can I forget.. July 26th, 2001.. Frankfurt Airport, Germany..
Our own separate paths.

11:51 AM  
Blogger Metlin said...

>But, well, how many people fight for
>countries other than their own?

Ragheads in Arab countries who think their version of Voice in the Sky is the best version? :)

6:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home