Friday, December 09, 2005

Chennai!

I'm in India right now. I will be here for almost a month. Landed last morning at around 12.40am. And by the time I got out of the airport it was a good 2.30am (as usual, my bags were one of the last few to come out on the carousel). For all that is said about customs and the dread of coming to India, I had no problem. For that matter of fact, I don't think I've had a problem ever with the customs the 3 times I've been back home.

Lots of things haven't changed.
The traffic and driving is pretty much the same. I love driving in Chennai. Its always a pleasure and a challenge. Its NOT for the faint hearted. Its for the skilled ONLY. Its amazing how so many things can co-exist on the roads. Cows, goats, stray dogs, cats, stones, construction equipment, cyclists, bikes, cars, vans, trucks, lorries, autos, humans, and ofcourse the occasional crows and other birds. I had the wheel straight from the airport. Initially it was a little uncomfortable, but by the time I reached Adyar from the airport, I was fine and back to my weaving self.

On the other hand lots of things have changed.
My Cingular connection actually works from Chennai. I was pleasantly surprised when my phone picked up signal straight away when I turned it on. Ofcourse, its on International Roaming (another way of saying you can have the cake, but you can't eat it. If you do, we'll fleece you for it) and I restricted my calls to just one where I called up my friend back in Boulder to inform him that I reached safely.

Everything looks a lot smaller initially (just like every time I've come back home). The effect wears away in a couple of days, but its still funny to note down my emotions everytime I feel it. Roads which i thought used to take forever to run across, now are not more than a few steps wide. Cars which seemed huge suddenly look smaller.

And finally.. the shocker. People in Chennai are actually wishing for LESS rain!! Thats the first time I've heard that in 26 years of my life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home