Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Tsunami revisited

Today there was a Tsunami warning issued because of a 7.9 scale quake at Indonesia. However, unlike the 2004 Tsunami which was supposed to have generated 8 foot waves (I think), this one was supposed to generate only 3 foot waves. One of my friends asked me so what's the big deal. We are taller than those waves for sure!

Well, its not so much about the height of the wave, as it is about the volume of water displaced. Here is a video shot during the 2004 tsunami. The first 30 seconds show how far back the water had receeded before the Tsunami hit. At about 2min 40 seconds, when the Tsunami hits the shore, there is a close up of a guy sitting on the beach trying to run away and the water just sweeping past him and beyond. Gruesome scene. The video also captures the destruction post the Tsunami towards the end! Be informed.. Be safe. A Tsunami is very powerful. Be it even 3 feet!



EDIT: My previous post on "People Tsunami" had nothing to do with this. I swear! I had no idea there would be a quake!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought it was 8.9 scale quake?Yeah appreciate the promptness of updating abt it in ur blog!

10:05 AM  
Blogger Rhapsoder said...

Thank you :-)

6:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home