Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Visit to Gunnison, Telluride and Mesa Verde National Park (Cortez)

People have long told me that the South West Colorado is the most beautiful part of Colorado. I had the chance to make a trip down there a few weeks back with a bunch of friends. We drove the entire San Juan sky way (a.k.a. the Million Dollar Highway). I don't think I'll ever be able to do justice to its beauty by describing it. I don't think any number of superlatives or pictures are capable of bringing out the beauty of that region. I am putting up only a few pictures, though there are many really good pics from this trip, to keep the size of the post down.

Day 1: The Black Canyons of Gunnison..
Mesas of the Black Canyon.View of the Colorado River at the bottom of the canyon.
View point at the top of the canyon. The Black Canyon is the second narrowest in the United States. It is 2000 feet deep but only 45 feet wide at its narrowest point.

Day 1: Telluride
Approaching Telluride. Thats the Black Bear Pass! That zig zag line leading to the top is the approach to the pass. For expert drivers with 4 Wheel Drives only!On the Gondola ride from Telluride to the Mountain Village above Telluride.
At the Mountain Village..Now why wouldn't anyone love to stay here?
Native Indian statue at the Mountain Village..Ride down to Telluride.
Sunset near Telluride..

Day 2: Mesa Verde National Park

Cliff dwellings at Mesa Verde.Age old ruins set on the sand stone settings. 
Wow.. this was actually where the Mesa Verde people got together. Some sort of a community room.. 5 people today's size couldn't fit in there.. The Mesa Verdians actually cliimbed the sheer rock walls with toe and finger holes. 
Panoramic shot of the Cliff Palace ruins


On Day 3, we visited Pagosa Springs. There were 21 different pools of water fed from hot water sulphur springs just alongside a river.. Each was maintained at a different temperature by mixing some of the river water into it. Unfortunately, I didn't get any pictures of that place. But, well, I did get to experience of staying immersed in each one of those. Sigh.. the lifestyles of the rich and the famous! I hear that Ouray has hot-water springs too. We just drove through Ouray this time.. Imagine lazing in a hot-water spring pool and enjoying a 360 degree view of snow-capped mountains! Thats for another time I guess!

Labels: , , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Sidharth said...

Wow!

Looks awesome.I should make a trip to Denver sometime this Fall.Really want to visit the Rockies again!

10:11 AM  
Blogger Metlin said...

God, that's some awesome climbing spots. But I'm not too sure about the rock structure, kinda looks brittle.

Either way, if you had belays on, those would be fantastic climbing spots!!

9:07 AM  
Blogger Rhapsoder said...

Sid.. you're always welcome :-)..
And I should visit Florida too.. sometime real soon.

MNK.. are you talking about the Black Canyon? Yeah.. pretty brittle rock.. thats why the Colorado river was able to cut through it easily. I mean, its not good for climbing sheer walls. Its okay to go scrambling down n stuff. Any visit to Colorado planned for this summer like the last?

12:51 PM  
Blogger Metlin said...

I do not know, dude. Last summer I worked at Los Alamos, but this summer am here in Cincinnati, so I do not think so.

If I'm ever coming down there, you and my drinking buddies will be the first to know! =)

6:06 AM  
Blogger Rhapsoder said...

I was down at NM last weekend.. SantaFe and Taos. Pretty nice.. but bloody hot. Got my ass fried. Will put up pics of that trip soon. Didn't get a chance to go to Los Alamos though.

6:18 AM  
Blogger FSN 3.0 said...

I cannot believe you gave The Usual Suspects a 7.5 / 10.

Did you not understand the movie?

Man - that movie is as close to perfect as it can get.

12:13 AM  
Blogger Rhapsoder said...

Lol. Well, thats just my opinion. and yeah, I did understand it.

I would give Kevin Spacey a 11/10, but well, the movie itself scores only a 7.5 in my books.

12:16 AM  
Blogger Rhapsoder said...

Dang.. guess I need a shout box. I need 26 hours in a day :-|.

12:17 AM  
Blogger M. said...

Can you see me turning green???

4:29 PM  
Blogger Rhapsoder said...

hehe Misha.. eating too much pacha molaga?

7:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home