Monday, March 27, 2006

The latest craze!!

I arrive in India, and I'm shown this video within half an hour of walking in to my house (this is at 2.00am mind you). You probably know what I'm talking about.. If you ever flipped through any of the Tamil channels in the last week, you'd have seen a VERY ordinary looking dark-skinned chap in a BRIGHT yellow shirt making a repetitive gesture that would put you to sleep. This video is being played so often now that its not easy to miss it. Just the bad sense of dressing would've definitely made you give it a second glance.

But, here is what I find funny.. I actually enjoy watching it now!! I don't know if it's a case of induced taste. I hated "Manmadha Raasa" (which was a craze 2 years back) the first time I saw it. But in the end, you can't help but like it. First time you watch this video, you wonder HOW THE HECK CAN THIS BE A HIT??? It has a so-so tune and an okay beat. The only saving grace is probably Malavika and the choreography. Looks cute. But, no ladies and gentlemen, thats not what the big hype is about. The craze is all about "Ghana Ulaganaadhan" and the stone-faced guy in the red-shirt holding the microphone. This song ("Vaazha Meenu" from the movie Chithiram Pesuthadi) has been featuered in all the big magazines like Kalki, Anandha Vikatan and newspapers in the last week. No one really understands how this can be a hit. But apparantly its such a big hit that the the stone-faced guy in the red-shirt cannot step out of his house without being recognized. Poor guy says that he has to walk on the streets these days with his helmet on.

Well, whoever the director is.. kudos to you! It would have NEVER struck me in a million years to shoot something like this. You had the guts and so now you have the glory!



p.s. The question now is.. Would you have liked the song if someone hadn't told you that it was a hit!

10 Comments:

Blogger Ford Prefect said...

Dude , ISB has a very active Tamil Movie screening club... IT support lends out a Projector and you can hook it to a music system for a true Big screen effect ... I know coz my quad was often the choice of venue ;-)...

4:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Manu... Mr. Perfect??(my quaddie) is referring to Chn gang here.

If you can persist with 'must-see-a-new-movie-every-week' thing... you would always find some download site or the other ;-)

Karthik.

7:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Karthik Sankar (the guy above) showed us the song one day and I can tell u it was pathetic. But I like the craze of Chennai where something becomes a hit without any reason. Remember "Suppamma, suppamma" song?

Your blog is interesting!

9:12 AM  
Blogger Rhapsoder said...

Ford Perfect & Karthik Sankar.. ah, one more thing to do. I've a good collection of movies of all 3 languages. Maybe I'll bring it along with me to kickstart the group.

Karthik R.. Lol, Suppamma Suppamma.. another mystery which needs unraveling. BTW, I don't know if you remember, I met you when I was down at ISB in December. You offered to let me stick around at your quad for the day 'cause I really didn't know anyone. Sorry, I didn't get a chance to see you after that. I bumped into a childhood friend (Srini) oncampus and before I knew, I had to head back to the airport.

9:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

God!!I agree with u that this is the most "abused" song on TV.I ahve turned on the radio and wondered the same thing!!Just a small difference,I still HATE THIS SONG!!

1:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i don't remember. must've been some other karthik...

11:23 PM  
Blogger Rhapsoder said...

Hmm.. maybe there's another Karthik Ramachandran. He was from Bangalore.

1:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

there's a kartik ramakrishnan. i don't know if he's from b'lore.

11:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

“Would you have liked the song if someone hadn't told you that it was a hit?"

Answer:
Yes. Provided I watched or listened to this song more than once. Now I listen or watch this at least once a day and whenever I start watching it my wife says "What? You are crazy" hey I like it...

I just landed on your Blog by accident... good work Keep it up.

10:39 AM  
Blogger Rhapsoder said...

Thanks Venkat!

12:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home