Thursday, April 13, 2006

@!$#%@# And Other Such Expletives.

Someone hacked into my yahoo mail account and has changed the password. I never figured I was important enough for someone to hack into my account for info.

I tried reseting the password through the "Forgot password" link. But, apparantly, whoever changed the password, also changed the zipcode. So, I can't even generate reset the password.

Any one been in this situation before? Any bright ideas?

EDIT : I was speaking to one of my friends whose Yahoo account was also hacked last night. We figured that we'd clicked on a stupid geocities link. I got a message last night on my YM from someone on my list asking me to check out pics on that page. I clicked. Guess, it found the rest of my account info from the cookies in my browser cache. Didn't realize a geocities link could be my undoing :-(.

5 Comments:

Blogger Kapil Mantri said...

This is really sad buddy. Btw that wasn't expected from a Techie like you. Let me know your new id.

1:36 AM  
Blogger Rhapsoder said...

Hey Kapil,

I agree it was dumb thing to do. But since it came from Stuti, i thought it was legit. Also, I think this is the first time I'm hearing of a hack which finds usernames and password (stored in a yahoo cookie) just by clicking on a link. I didn't even type them in.

10:58 AM  
Blogger FSN 3.0 said...

Now of course the question to be asked - What kind of pictures were they? :-)

12:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

(http://tampinco.com/steven/index.php?p=99)

4:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can call up yahoo and provide your information and they will reset it for you. If its your email address and you know the information of when you first registered, you are good. Go to yahoo.com and company info or about us and find out offices. They don't give this info out, but i have been burnt a few times and I have been helped. (Although no one reset my password, i just didn't access an account forever and simply forgot my own password)
The reset password is sent to your alternate email id.

1:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home