Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Trip to ISB

I flew to Hyderabad last morning and flew out last evening. I was on a short visit to the Indian School of Business to look around the school. I've heard a lot about the campus and its world class facility. But I was pleasantly surprised when I went there. It was truly world class. Very professional and competent staff, granite & marble floors, spic and span walls, awesome ambiance. I should say that it was far better built than the University of Colorado at Boulder. It may not be as big, but well, ISB only caters to 400 students. The library is also supposed to be the biggest in any business school in Asia.

I spent the entire day going around the place, talking to a variety of students. Met a number of students from various majors like Finance, Marketing, IT, and Entrepreneurship and interacted with them. I also met a couple of current students who have lived in the US and gone back for their MBA. They seem very very happy. My small doubts of having to re-adjust myself have been partially erased. I still have a teeny weeny bit hidden away in the corner somewhere. Guess I'll have to deal with it when it really matters.

I was surprised by the accomodations for students. Its 3-star treatment all the way :-). Quite the opposite of what it was for me when I was doing my Masters here in the US. They have staff who come and make the students' bed, while they are away at school. They have maids who clean the floors and dust the entire place once every couple of days. You can also hire an extra maid to help out with the vessels and other miscellaneous chores around the house if you want.

The family housing was also excellent. A single bedroom appartment with a proper kitchen the works. The bachelor's quarters however had 4 rooms in a single house to be shared by four people. All of these were furnished.

I'm very impressed!

P.S. The auto fare was about Rs. 200 one way from the airport to ISB. Probably because I couldn't communicate with the auto driver. Hindi should work perfectly fine.. Ofcourse, I don't know Hindi, and so I was taken for a ride.. quite literally I think. Time to go bug my room-mate to step-up my Hindi education and put it on a fast-track.

6 Comments:

Blogger anshul said...

Ha! Well there will be charges for teaching hindi..hehe, Though I am amazed too. I mean the maids n all !!

7:28 AM  
Blogger FSN 3.0 said...

Do they have mixed dorms out there, or are the maids cute at least? ;-). YOu might be able to find something interesting to do if you go to ISB after all.

I just hope you wont turn into Chiranjeevi, wear tight white pants, a purple shirt and jump around in the rain.

11:24 PM  
Blogger Sidharth said...

Advance Wishes for your Birthday dude!

ISB rocks...Hope you're having fun in Chennai.

Cheers,

-Sid

12:44 AM  
Blogger Metlin said...

Wait a minute! You aren't really thinking of joining ISB now, are you? :-O Dude, I was hoping for a visit to CO man, I've a shitload of fourteeners to climb. Damn it! ;)

1:07 PM  
Blogger Rhapsoder said...

Anshul, dude, I'll kick your butt and make you teach me at gun point if I have to.

FSN, somehow I knew I'd get that question ;-). They're not dorms dude. They're kindof apartment complexes. So, yeah, they're co-ed. I guess they finally figured that 27-28 year olds are old enough to take care of themselves and don't have to place the housings apart.

Sid, thanks dude. Was good fun to spend a b'day at home after a long time.

Metlin, well, thinking about it. Lets see if I get in. You have nothing to fear till I get in ;-)

10:27 AM  
Blogger Rhapsoder said...

Ah.. btw.. FSN.
Put your fears to rest.

I will always be a Ramarajan/MGR wearing not-so-tight yellow pants with some flamboyant pink shirts. Lest our ancestors turn in their graves.

10:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home