Tuesday, October 16, 2007

The Wonder Years nostalgia

I was watching an episode of The Wonder Years today (yeah yeah.. the mid 90s super hit in India). This was the episode where Kevin Arnold and Vinnie Cooper break up for the first time (at the age of 14). Vinnie had moved to a new school/locality in one of the earlier episodes and then she meets someone. So, in this episode, she breaks up with Kevin. She feels very bad about it, and Kevin starts doing crazy stuff like date another girl just to make Vinnie feel jealous.. etc. Finally, Vinnie tries to talk to him and tell him that she wants him to be her friend.. and Kevin loses it. He blasts her and tells her he doesn't ever want to see her again.

Sounds familiar? I've seen all this happen many times to multiple people over the years. I'm sure most people have. But, it was rather different to observe this now as an adult. I saw childishness in Vinnie in expecting him to be friends with her right away, when she was seeing someone else. I saw childishness in Kevin remaining in denial of the breakup and trying to get things going once again. I saw childishness in Kevin acting hyper and pretending to have fun when he, Vinnie and her new boyfriend land up at the same party. I saw childishness when Kevin tries to hurt her with his words when he felt hurt. All these things seemed so childish now.

Or are they really?

Then again, if I were in his place, I'd probably go through the same emotions. I'd probably be very uncomfortable sharing the same space with a just turned ex. I'd probably get pissed too, if someone who just dumped me, walked up to me and expected me to be a good friend. I might even try to hurt the person back by saying things I would've never have said normally otherwise. Love makes one do funny things. Makes one proud. Makes one sorry. Makes one say things they don't say usually.

So, it brings me to the question.. are we all really that much more mature now as compared to when we were in college? Things hurt as much now I'm sure.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The easiest way to not get hurt is to not care... but that's the hardest thing to do esp when u come across that person sometime or other and if u really "love" someone and someone "loves" you too then no matter what each one does it never hurts.But as u said its not comfortable and is probably most difficult to be a good friend to someone whom u loved earlier and probably still love!

12:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice post Manu! I guess certain things in life (Maturity in this case) just cannot be measured.Its easy to point out where Kevin & Vinnie went wrong - but hard when it comes to ur own - that is why, placing urself in Kevins shoes, even u have used the word 'probably' in every sentence! LOVE - cant live with it or without it :)

6:30 PM  
Blogger FSN 3.0 said...

Deiii - its The Wonder Years now, and before you realize, it might be Wonder Balloon :O)
Pathukko, sollitten....

5:03 AM  
Blogger FSN 3.0 said...

Anyway, about this post.....I understand :D.

5:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good post Manu..pretty contemplative. Childish is probably a bit strong as you questioned aptly. I feel these are things that hurt a lot despite how many times they happen to you. Unfortunately being in it and being an observer in this case are two completely different things. You're always ready to offer mature advice when it happens to a friend, but when it hits you, its always harsh.

10:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home