Thursday, January 10, 2008

And so the story goes...

As the saying goes, I should've seen it coming :-P. 2008 has been the shakiest start to a year I have had since 2002 (or is it even shakier?). An incident has jolted me back to reality. It is amazing how you always think that you'd be prepared for anything the next time, but nothing really can prepare you for it when it hits you.

But hey, not all is bad. Towards the end of last year, I had the chance to meet with my pretty and my pretty's pretty! They were visiting India on their annual trip with their parents much to my delight.

Boy oh boy have things changed! Rakhi now has the cutest American accent when she talks in English. She can also comfortably talk in Gujarati, Marwadi, and German (learnt from her nanny and her daughter). She can also understand Hindi! At 3years and 3 months, she has accomplished far more things than I have in so many years :-P. The little one Kavya at 1.5 years age can understand Gujarati, Marwadi and German.. (she can't talk much yet) and she likes to eat by herself. Well, to put things in perspective, I still know only 3 languages and my mom had to feed me till I was 21 to get any rice into my body! (Not that I didn't know how to eat by myself, just that I refused to eat rice!.. But still you get the picture!).

Here's what they look like right now! (Don't anyone dare cast an evil eye! :-P. I will personally kick your behind)


It was a fun two days playing with them and my other niece. I watched the two fight and compete with each other for everything right from spoons all the way to their parents' attention. I find myself in the same state with Kavya now as I found myself 2 years ago with Rakhi.. incommunicado. She and I don't share a common language yet. But, once again, I can't wait for the next time I meet her when she would've learnt English!

But you know never guess what the crowning glory of the whole time I spent with them was! It was the 2nd min of my interaction with Rakhi. When I fearfully asked her if she knew who I was. I almost fell off the bed when she came back with a shy, thickly accented "Mxxx mama". This was the first time I have ever had any conversation with her. Last I had known her, we shared no common language for me to communicate to her in!

I hate attachments, and am mostly scared of any of them. Most of them come back to bite me (as was once again proved this year). Maybe I do something wrong all the time. In this particular case, I will probably never understand what I did right.. she actually remembered me! She warmed my heart! It is these small things that happen that give you hope and keeps alive the faith in people. It keeps me going!

Someone said "Life's like that!" :-)

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Touche' said...

"Thats the way the cookie crumbles"

Mxxx Mama!! - lol :) Appreciate her presence of mind

8:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice post :) "It is these small things that happen that give you hope and keeps alive the faith in people. It keeps me going!" - so true! Btw did Mxxx mama = Makku :P

11:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

:-)

1:37 AM  
Blogger Rhapsoder said...

Hey.. mxxx is just a small censor on my name :-P.. Come on guys.. gimme a break! I need my space! I need my privacy!

6:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Was searching for the address of dollar store in Acendas on the net and somehow ended up in your blog page. Interesting posts!

7:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home